Adolescence can be a challenging part of life – so many changes to deal with; social pressures, school and home expectations and trying to figure out what path you will take in life. Adding acne to all of that can have a significant psychological impact on a young person.
Usually, the first step for someone with acne is to speak to their GP. For mild to moderate conditions, topical treatments and oral antibiotics are generally used. For patients with moderate to severe cases, acne medication can be prescribed for suitable patients. What can’t be determined before taking new medication are the side effects that may arise. In this article, we discuss the potential side effects from popular acne medication and how you can treat acne whilst avoiding taking oral medication.
Side Effects of Acne Medication
When prescribing medication, your doctor will weigh up the risks versus the benefits of the medication. Roaccutane contains the active ingredient isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a form of Vitamin A and works by decreasing the production of oil in the skin. As with many medications, this medication can have severe side effects and its use must be monitored by a health professional.
Side effects of taking acne medication may include:
- fragile skin or change in colour of the skin
- dryness of the lips, mouth, nose and skin
- peeling palms of the hands and soles of the feet
- itchy skin rash
- an increased susceptibility to sunburn
- flare-up, usually at the start of treatment
- changes to the nails
- eye problems such as dry, sore, swollen or itchy eyes, discharge or trouble seeing at night
- tenderness or stiffness in your bones, joints or muscles
- hair loss (sometimes occurs and is usually temporary but in rare cases has persisted)
- excessive hairiness
- nausea or vomiting
- persistent headache
- blurred vision or visual disturbances
- changes in your hearing or ringing in your ears
- severe upper stomach pain
- unexpected muscle pain, tenderness or weakness
- severe bruising
- sudden red, often itchy spots, similar to the rash of measles starting on the face, hands or feet. You may also have a fever, sore throat, headache and/ or diarrhoea.
- painful red areas, that change to large blisters and end with peeling of layers of skin, that may occur on lips, mouth, eyes, nose and genitals. Those affected may have fever and chills, aching muscles and generally feel unwell.
- thinking, seeing or hearing things that are not real
- feeling depressed, with or without suicidal thoughts
The side effects listed above range from mild to severe. If you have experienced adverse side effects from acne medication, or if you want a natural way to treat breakouuts, then SublativeTM treatment could be for you.
SublativeTM acne treatment works by using fractionated radio frequency energy. The energy penetrates deep into the skin and works in two ways – firstly the follicles in the skin are decongested and cleared as the keratinised cell debris is vaporised. Secondly, the sebaceous glands (that produce the oil (sebum) in the skin) are affected so that sebum production is reduced and controlled.
There is no downtime with SublativeTM treatment. Your skin will have redness similar to a light sunburn and tiny pinhole like marks where the treatment occurred. The redness resolves within 24 hours and the tiny marks can be covered with tinted moisturiser.
You can reduce your chances of scarring by treating active acne early. Usually, 4 treatments are needed 4-6 weeks apart. To see our pricing, simply click on the button below:
If you have suffered side effects from acne medication or you are tired of wasting your time and money on creams and cleansers, then come in and see us for a personalised treatment regime for your skin. During your consultation, a skin expert will assess your skin condition, discuss the technology with you and answer any questions that you have.
If you would like to know more about how we use SublativeTM technology for the safe and effective treatment of acne, come in to Detail Smoother Skin Clinic for a complimentary consultation. We will analyse your skin condition and you will a receive personalised treatment plan. If you would like to know more about acne scar treatment, click here.
If you have never been to Detail Smoother Skin, you can either give us a call on 02 9231 5999 (Detail for Men) or 02 9251 9966 (Detail Woman) or click on one of the buttons below to ask a question or book a free consultation online now. If you already have an appointment, you can easily add a free consultation to your booking.