Knowledge is power and knowing what causes spider veins and what you can do to help prevent them is the best way to minimise your chances of developing spider veins. If you already have vascular lesions, following these helpful tips can assist you to stop exacerbating the condition.
Vascular lesions, or spider veins, are very common. They are the result of blood backing up in the veins due to venous insufficiency. We explain what causes vascular lesions, how to stop them forming and the leading laser treatment for spider veins.
Top Causes For Spider Veins
Due to the pressure of body weight, the task of carrying blood back to the heart, and gravity, the majority of vascular lesions appear in the legs, however facial lesions are also common.
Many factors increase your risk of developing superficial veins, including:
- Family history (genetics)
- Medical history
- Hormonal changes (puberty, pregnancy, menopause)
- Taking birth control pills
- Sun exposure
- Lack of movement (sitting for more than 30 minutes, or standing for extended periods for example)
How To Prevent Spider Veins Forming
Not all spider veins can be prevented however you can take steps to reduce your chances of getting new spider veins and help ease discomfort from any that you already have:
- Get moving! Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. If you have to sit at a desk for most of the day, don’t cross your legs, move your feet and legs under the table by doing heel and toe raises for example and try to get up and go for a walk every 30 minutes or so. This may even help to increase your concentration!
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation and strength.
- Maintain a healthy weight to avoid putting excessive pressure on your legs.
- Wear a good quality sunscreen everyday. Sun exposure increases your risk of facial veins.
- Elevate your legs when resting.
- Avoid tight underwear that can restrict the flow of blood around the waist or groin area.
- Elastic support stockings can assist to alleviate the pressure in the legs.
GentleMax Pro Laser Treatment For Spider Veins
Due to innovation and the advancement of modern technology, the treatment of vascular lesions should no longer be feared. Treatment of superficial veins with the GentleMax Pro offers fast results and virtually painless treatment with no downtime. The laser works to comfortably heat and coagulate the blood in the treatment area. The body’s natural healing processes then clears the treated area.
You can see examples of results in the before and after pictures below.
Please note that results will vary from individual to individual.
The treatment does not damage the skin so you can go straight back to your normal routine afterwards. Typically, between 2 and 4 treatments are needed to achieve clearance. Some vascular lesions may reoccur over time, for which a single maintenance treatment only is required.
Thousands of treatments have been performed worldwide and the GentleMax Pro is FDA approved giving you peace of mind for its safely and efficacy.
The cost of treatment depends on the size and number of areas to be treated. We offer a complimentary consultation where you can have your veins assessed by one of our skin experts and receive a tailored quote. To view our price list, simply click on the button below.
If you are looking for safe and effective spider vein treatment, book a free consultation with a skin specialist at Detail Smoother Skin Clinic, Sydney's leading skin and body clinic. We will assess your skin and your veins and recommend a treatment plan.
Please call 02 9231 5999 or click below to book your consultation online now or ask a question.