As we age, it’s common to notice areas of darker facial pigmentation, particularly in our sunny climate. You may notice that in Winter it improves slightly, only to return with gusto again in Summer. Sun exposure is the obvious cause for darker patches of pigmentation on our skin, but what about the lesser-known ones? Is it something you are actually causing?
We discuss the top 4 causes for pigmentation concerns, specifically melasma as many women we see don’t even know they have the condition.
Melasma is a type of pigmentation concern and is commonly miss-diagnosed as age spots. It is a chronic and common skin condition that typically appears as symmetrical darker, brown, blotchy patches on the face. It doesn’t cause any physical harm but many women we treat say it makes them feel self-conscious. Darker skin types and people who live in regions with intense sun are more at risk.
Top 4 Causes For Pigmentation Concerns
- Sun exposure – the leading cause of pigmentation issues in Australia is sun exposure. Aussies are well-known for being sun-worshippers and the years of ultra-violet radiation exposure takes its toll on our skin.
- Pregnancy – also referred to as “the mask of pregnancy,” melasma can appear during pregnancy and can resolve following delivery, but there are cases where it does not.
- Hormonal changes – fluctuations in hormones can trigger melasma or pigmentation changes in the skin. Taking the oral contraceptive pill or undergoing hormonal replacement therapy are examples.
- Underlying medical conditions – thyroid disease and stress can contribute to changes in pigmentation.
Holistic Approach to Treatment
The management of melasma and many other skin pigmentation concerns is best tackled with a multi-step, ongoing plan. Without maintenance treatment, it can return. Detail Smoother Skin are specialists in skin management and will tailor a plan to suit your needs, during your initial complimentary consultation and skin analysis.
Pigmentation treatment usually involves skin peels and laser treatment with the PicoWay laser. We recommend the PicoWay as it generates next to no heat during treatment. Many pigmentation conditions are exacerbated by heat, meaning you could make the condition worse rather than improve it.
To see our treatment pricing, simply click on the button below:
Come in and see the skin specialists at Detail Smoother Skin Clinic for a free consultation. We offer personalised skin care strategies to treat your skin concerns. During your free consultation we will discuss with you how many treatments are needed, a written quote with cost and specific information you will need to follow before, during and after your treatment.
If you already have an appointment booked at Detail Smoother Skin, you can easily add a free treatment consultation to your booking by calling our friendly team on 02 9251 9966.
If you have never been to Detail Smoother Skin Clinic, you can either give us a call on 02 9251 9966 or click on one of the buttons below to make an enquiry or book a free consultation online.
Articles You May Find Helpful
- Top 4 skin pigmentation concerns and solutions
- How to look younger with PicoWay pigmentation removal
- How to safely remove sun damage from the décolletage